The 32nd annual Elizabeth 8K Road Race will be held on Saturday, March 24, 2018.
Charlotte's oldest road race will feature a new USATF-certified course (certificate NC18014DF), providing runners with a fantastic
tour of the scenic residential and commercial streets of the Elizabeth neighborhood.
addition to the 8K, there is also
a 1.5M run/walk and the Liz Kids' Fun Run for the youngest runners.
The Elizabeth 8K is an independent race, organized by volunteers from the Elizabeth neighborhood. Proceeds benefit the Elizabeth Community Association, the beautification of Elizabeth, and the replenishing of tree canopies in the neighborhood and across the city. A portion of our net race proceeds go to TreesCharlotte, a public/private not-profit collaboration whose mission is to grow and diversify Charlotte’s urban forest by planting 500,000 trees by 2050, promote tree stewardship and educate people about how to plant and preserve trees.
Noteworthy news for the 2018 race:
- We have an exciting new course this year that will explore different parts of the Elizabeth neighborhood. Be sure to check it out.
- CATS will begin operation of the CityLYNX Gold Line, i.e., the trolley or the street car, at 7am on March 24.
Please consider using mass transit or ride share companies, but if you must drive, please review our recommended parking locations.
- The 'Big E' Launch Party for our exclusive Elizabeth 8K beer is Thursday, March 15 at Legion Brewing with proceeds benefits our two great partners, TreesCharlotte and Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina.
- We are hosting a food collection drive for our partner at Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina. Bring your donation of non-perishable foods to three collection events associated with this year's race, the 'Big E' Launch Party at Legion Brewing on March 15, packet pickup at Hawthorne's Pizza on March 22 and 23 or to the race on March 24. There will also be a raffle and silent auction with some absolutely incredible gifts to raise additional money for this great organization.
- TreesCharlotte will host a mini-tree store following our race. Be sure to stop by and pick up a free tree while supplies last.
- Keep your eyes in the sky as you head into town on race morning as the Duke Energy Building will be lit in green to honor our race
- Local artist and Elizabeth resident, Tom Thoune, has designed and is making custom medals for our 1st place winners. These are going to be very cool and truly unique keepsakes. Additionally, 1st, 2nd and 3rd place overall, masters and age group winners will receive a commemorative Elizabeth 8K bottle opener medal.
- Please recognize and support all of our terrific sponsors and partners that are included here on our website. It is only with their tremendous support that this event is possible.
photo credits: Jim Dimitroff
Hawthorne Recreation Center, Independence Park
345 Hawthorne Lane, Charlotte, NC 28204